The year of 2021 is highly anticipated: it is the year after the 2020 COVID pandemic affected our planet. We all hope this world crisis will be behind us in 2021 and we can hold a double congress celebration.
For us hydrogeologists, 2021 will see
- the 47th IAH CONGRESS held in Brazil on August 22nd – 27th
- and the 48th IAH CONGRESS in Belgium on September 6th – 10th.
Two congresses for IAH’s 65th Birthday!
Both committees are working together to bring you coordinated events.
Please note that:
- The General Assembly of the members of the IAH and the Council Meeting of 2020 will be held online – more details to come from IAH
- For 2021, these meetings will be organised in Brussels, Belgium, during the 48th IAH Congress in September
- The IAH Commissions, Networks, Working Groups and National Chapters will choose where to hold their meetings in 2021
Stay tuned !
The pandemic is impacting us all, it forced us to adapt our lifestyles, and to change the way we are meeting each other. But we are confident for the future, and we will be able to meet, greet, talk and laugh together. We are confident that we will share good meals and drinks.
We are planning for a physical congress for the 48th IAH Congress in Brussels. The eventual requested measures will be applied, but we’ll be there. Rest assured that the Belgian Chapter is putting all efforts towards this direction, even if we are monitoring the evolution of the pandemic very closely.
And what if things are not evolving the way we all hope ? Well, we already have a plan B, to allow the 48th Congress to be a reality in September 2021, whatever happens.
In September 2018, in Daejeon, South Korea, the Council of the IAH decided to appoint the IAH Belgian National Chapter (the CBH-BCH) to organize the 48th International Congress of 2021.
It’s a great honor, a wonderful pleasure and an exciting challenge to organize such an event.
The congress will be held in Brussels, Belgium, from September 6-10 September, 2021, in the very heart of the Belgian and European Capital.
The History of the world shows us that water and groundwater have constantly inspired Mankind to develop techniques for the production of drinking water, to transport water to people, to control and manage watercourses, to the search for new sources, to combat scarcity. Access to safe water in sufficient quantities is essential to Mankind, to prosperity and economic development
- Let the past inspire us to prepare a better future.
- Let our failures inspire us to constantly improve our techniques.
- Let research inspire us to turn challenges into opportunities, and to make groundwater part of the solution towards a society without fossil energy sources.
- Let our children inspire us to give our grandchildren a better planet
In 2021, we’ll also celebrate together the 65th anniversary of the IAH … and the 20th anniversary of our chapter. Did you know that the first president of the IAH was Belgian ?
Belgium is a small country, but we have a lot to give… To the organization of the congress, we’ll also do our best to make you discover some aspects of our culture, of our history, of our architecture, of our gastronomy.
You are all welcome to join us and to learn from others, to exchange and to transfer knowledge, to learn to know people, to build solutions.
Brussels, September 6th : we’ll be there. Will you ?
Follow us here for more information in the coming months.
ir Olivier Lagneau
Chair of the Organizing Committee
The IAH Belgian Chapter is honored to host and invite you to the 48th IAH Congress in Brussels, Belgium in 2021. We our looking forward to be inspired by your contributions on the following topics:
- Groundwater/surface water interaction
- Hydrogeochemistry, groundwater age tracing, paleogroundwater and isotopes in hydrogeology
- Groundwater contamination
- Groundwater and climate change
- Geothermal and hydro-energy
- Karst and fractured rock hydrogeology
- Managed aquifer recharge
- Mineral and thermal waters
- Regional groundwater systems and transboundary aquifers
- Coastal aquifers
- Urban groundwater
- Groundwater and ecosystems
- Advances in forward and inverse groundwater modeling and open source tools for computational subsurface hydrology
- Advances in experimental and field methods in hydrogeology and for understanding of the critical zone
- Groundwater governance, policy and management
- Sustainable groundwater exploitation and well management
We hope to celebrate the 20th anniversary of our Belgian Chapter with you in 2021 in Brussels enjoying inspiring groundwater science and Belgian gastronomy, beer and chocolates!
Prof. Marijke Huysmans
Chair of the Scientific Committee of IAH2021
“The Congress is a contribution to the 8th phase of the UNESCO International Hydrological Programme (IHP-VIII, 2014-2021)”